One Big Happy Table: Fresh Mushroom Soup
POSTED: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 5:38pm
UPDATED: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 6:28pm
Leigh Vickery is back in the Kitchen with Chef Michael Brady from Fresh by Brookshire's.
Braised Mushroom Soup
1/2 pound bacon
2 sweet yellow onions
1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (or other flavorless oil)
2 large packs of button mushroom, rinsed under running water
2 Tablespoons butter
8 cups of chicken stock (enough to cover the mushrooms when simmering)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, cook bacon and onions until the onions become tender.
- In a hot sauté pan with a tablespoon of grapeseed oil, sauté your mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. You want to get a good sear on your mushrooms for good rich flavor and depth.
- Add your sauté of mushrooms to the pot with bacon and onions.
- Add the butter and a nice pinch of salt (1 generous teaspoonish) and stir.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend on high until smooth.
For the basil sour cream:
-1 cup sour cream or crème fraiche’
1 large handful of fresh basil, chopped
Simply mix sour cream or crème fraiche with basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a spoonful of the basil sour cream. Another delicious garnish is a bit of shaved black truffles. Serve with sourdough bread.