Icy blast may hinder travel in Texas
POSTED: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - 12:52pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - 3:40pm
East Texans urged to use caution
The wild winter weather continues today in East Texas. As temperatures continue to drop, with moisture on the ground, this can cause slick spots on roads. TXDOT Public Information Officer Larry Krantz says slick spots can be especially dangerous on bridges and overpasses.
The Tyler Police Department wants to bring attention to the most common errors that were observed by officers.
1. Driving too fast for road conditions. When roads are covered with ice, driving the posted speed limit is not safe. The key is to drive SLOWLY and maintain control of your vehicle.
2. Avoid, if at all possible, any route that may cause you to drive on icy inclines. Drive where your vehicle will maintain the best traction.
3. Following too Closely. Please maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
4. Remove all snow from your windows before you begin to drive. Impaired visibility affects your ability to react. Numerous drivers had windows that were completely covered with snow & ice while they were driving.
5. Don't drive if you don't have to.