Breaking News

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 7:05pm
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 5:58pm

An alarming rate of children admitted to ER for medicine poisoning

An alarming rate of children admitted to ER for medicine poisoning
MGN Online
News

POSTED: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:54pm

UPDATED: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:13pm

According to a study by 'Safe Kids Worldwide', three-fourths of children taken to the ER., are there for medicine poisoning.

The study also says every eight minutes a child is admitted to the ER for this very reason.

Nearly 500-thousand kids a year are poisoned by eating prescription medication, something the emergency room at Trinity Mother Frances in Tyler sees on a regular basis.

"Two or three times a week you see some type of child who has ingested a prescription medicine and then the family finds out that they've had it, or the child isn't acting right and they bring him in for evaluation.  So it's something we see pretty commonly," said ER physician Sean Denham.

The study concluded much of the increase is due to how busy parents are nowadays, with many grandparents watching children for extended periods of time.

"A lot of people, when they're taking out their medicine, sometimes they'll lay them out and not realize there's going to be children there, or some elderly people, they don't have child proof caps because they have arthritis," said Dr. Denham.

To spot if your kids may have gotten they're hands on prescription meds, the best indication is they're demeanor.

"They're not going to look like the child you know because they're being affected by that medicine. Those medicines can make the heart speed up, make the heart beat go down, and they can cause all kinds of problems like that," said Dr. Denham.

When you are in the routine of taking pills, it can become mundane and monotonous, but when children are around, you've got to take that extra effort, to keep them out of little hands.

"Sometimes people just don't realize and they leave they're medicine in the same place everyday, they don't realize it can be life threatening for a child, just one pill can be life threatening to a child," said Dr. Denham.

Comments News Comments

Many medications are over prescribed.
Did you know some public drinking water supplies have been tested and found to contain significant levels of antidepressant, anti-anxiety & even birth control ingredients.
Yup, that means our drinking supplies are not all that clean - even after going through a treatment center.
Adding fluoride and other chemicals do little or nothing to offset the chemicals given off by industrial or human waste.
Store bought water is no better & sometimes worse for you.

Post new Comment