Biggest Energy Saver Contest
POSTED: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 - 3:48pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 - 10:11pm
Tyler, Texas — Customers participating in the Biggest Energy Saver Contest will need to use their smart meters wisely in order to track their energy use. The www.SmartMeterTexas.com website enables consumers to track their energy use in 15-minute increments, empowering users to make smart changes to their electric energy habits -- and increase their potential of winning the contest. Here are a few tips to help consumers in their quest to be Texas' Biggest Energy Saver:
1. Check your SmartMeterTexas.com account to track how your energy use changes throughout the day and identify any peaks in energy use to find ways to scale back consumption.
2. Generate reports on SmartMeterTexas.com and use your historical data to manage your future energy use.
3. Compete with your friends and compare their energy use with our yown through the SmartMeterTexas.com Friend Account feature.
4. Connect your Home Area Network devices, such as in-home energy monitors, thermostats and smart appliances, to your smart meter to receive messages that help manage and control your energy consumption.
Practice energy-saving techniques, and watch your usage reports to record how these measures decrease your energy consumption and costs. Here are some tips:
- Routinely replace or clean your air conditioner filter.
- Block air vents in rooms that don't need to be cooled.
- turn off your DVR when it's not in use.
- Clean your lint filter before every dryer load.
- Install compact fluorescent light bulbs.