Candle blamed for Longview fire

Candle blamed for Longview fire
News
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 3:54pm

From Longview Fire Department

LONGVIEW, TX --- At or around 0010 Hrs on October 20th, 2010 Longview Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1002 Oden St. On arrival crews found a two story balloon framed structure (older structure with no built in fire stops) with about 25% fire involving the upstairs bed room. Fire crews were able to quickly advance fire attack hose lines to the area of origin and extinguish the fire in the bed room and the fire that had extended into the attic space. Fire was under control in about 10 minutes.

The female that resides in the bed room of the fire origin stated she had a candle burning in the window sill with the window open. The drapes made contact with the open flame resulting in the fire. The occupant had left the bedroom and was alerted by the sound of the smoke alarm. Once she returned to the room she found the drapes on fire which quickly engulfed the room. The remainder of the house sustained heavy smoke and heat spread.

All six adults escaped without injury.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment