Breaking News

Sunday, March 1, 2015 - 4:06pm

Citizens Needed to Serve on Boards and Commissions

Citizens Needed to Serve on Boards and Commissions
Tuesday, February 7, 2012 - 4:21pm

The City of Longview is encouraging residents to apply to serve on a variety of council-appointed boards, commissions, and committees. Volunteer members advise the City Council on issues ranging from parks to community development. Residents are encouraged to apply. Application deadline is March 1, 2012.

According to Mayor Jay Dean, “The volunteers on our boards and commissions play a vital role for the City of Longview. As a Council, we can delegate some amount of oversight to boards and commissions. They are able to look at particular issues and then make recommendations for council consideration. It is helpful to the City, and it is a great way for the volunteers to get involved and learn more about the community.”

The City needs several new people to apply to serve this year. According to City Manager David Willard, “We have more than 25 openings on various committees this year ranging from the Parks board to the Planning and Zoning Commission.”

Openings are available on the following committees: Certified Retirement City Committee, Construction Advisory and Appeals Board, Cultural Activities Advisory Commission, Longview Historic Preservation Commission, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, Partners in Prevention Steering Committee, Planning and Zoning Commission, Public Transportation Advisory Board, and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

The City Council plans to select committee appointments during the regular council meeting on Thursday, March 22. It should be noted that not all who apply will be appointed. Some restrictions apply.

Residents are encouraged to apply online at Applications are also available at City Hall, 300 W. Cotton St. For more information, please contact the City Manager’s Office at 903-237-1021.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment