Breaking News

AUTOPSY: Quitman children died from blunt force trauma, deaths ruled homicide

AUTOPSY: Quitman children died from blunt force trauma, deaths ruled homicide
Wood County Jail

POSTED: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 2:51pm

UPDATED: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 7:12pm

KETK has obtained the preliminary autposy report releated to two East Texas children who died last week.

 According to Wood County Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Judge Alice Tomerlin, Gabriella Guerroro, 3, died from blunt force injuries and Natalye Price, 1, died from blunt force trauma to her head and trunk. Both deaths have been ruled a homicide.

Authorities were first alerted to the situation on Thursday, July 24,  around 11:51 a.m. when Dalton German called Quitman Police to report two children who were not breathing and would not wake up.

A Quitman man was arrested by local law enforcement for tampering with evidence in the case.

Chief Cole tells KETK Thomas Wayne Liles, 19, was taken into custody by one of his officers for tampering with evidence. Multiple witnesses told officers that a man was seen running from the Dogwood Villa apartment where the two deaths occurred. They also saw the man throw a "large item" into a dumpster near the building. The items were consistent with having come from the children's apartment, said police.

It is not known at this time if the discarded items are related to the children's death. Homicide has not been ruled out. Liles is being held on a $25,000 bond.

Child Protective Services spokeswoman Shari Pulliam said their agency previously investigated the children's living conditions. On December 17, 2013, allegations of medical neglect and physical neglect were made at another location. The home had no running water, large amounts of trash and debris in the home and one the children had a bump on their leg that was infected.

During the investigation, the mother was able to move into adequate and safe housing for her children. She was also able to get care for the children's basic and extended needs, including medical help.

The case was completed on February 21, 2014. At the end of the investigation, the mother was living alone with her children, whom were in daycare while she worked.

KETK will bring you more information as it becomes available.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment