Breaking News

Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:22am

Gilmer man indicted for September murder of son's mother

Gilmer man indicted for September murder of son's mother
Upshur County Sheriff's Office

POSTED: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 12:52pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 4:11pm

A Gilmer man who allegedly shot his son's mother at point-blank range during a football game on the Gilmer ISD campus in September, has been indicted on a single count of capital murder by an Upshur County Grand Jury.

Jonathan Ray Shepherd, 32, was formally indicted Monday for his role in he murder of Cheyenne Green. Shepherd is being held in the Upshur County Jail on $1,000,000 bond.. The murder charge was upgraded to capital murder and filed Thursday, October 10.

According to the murder complaint filed by the 115th Judicial District Court in Upshur County, at the time of the football game, Shepherd left his wife, Suzzane Bates, from whom he is separated, in the stands to go to the parking lot and hand his two-year-old son back to the mother of the child, Green. A witness told officials he pulled up next to Shepherd's car as he was arguing with Green over their son.

Minutes later, Bates received a phone call from Shepherd saying he had done something bad and "could not take it anymore." He told Bates that Green was dead and he had killed her. Shepherd then informed Bates she could find Green's car running with the lights on in the parking lot and to go get his son from the backseat of the car. Bates found the car exactly where Shepherd said she would, then took the boy out of the car. As she pulled the toddler from the car, she spotted Green laying in a pool of blood and called 911.

Authorities tell KETK, Todd Cain, 33, who is Shepherd's best friend, got a phone call from Shepherd where he admitted to killing Green and he couldn't believe he did it. He also said he was looking for a place to hide and hinted at killing himself. Green's grandmother was interviewed by law enforcement and said her granddaughter had been in a heated custody battle with Shepherd over their son.

Upon receiving the news of Green's death, her employer Gregg Industrial Insulators, released the following statement:

"The owners, management and employees of Gregg Industrial Insulators, Inc., are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Cheyenne Green. Cheyenne was a loyal employee for Gregg Industrial Insulators for over two years. She will be greatly missed by everyone who worked with and knew her. Our thoughts and prayers are with her son and family during this most difficult time."

During the Grand Jury indictments, 17 cases were presented and 16 "True Bills" were returned. One case was "No Billed" and six remain sealed due to no arrests.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment