Breaking News

Do you know what to do when bit by a venomous snake?


POSTED: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 6:31pm

UPDATED: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 1:29pm

You may want to watch where you step. These sneaky reptiles blend in with the ground, and can coil into small piles of doom that camouflage with rocks and brush.

Dr. Laura Cauthen from the Animal Medical Center of Tyler said, "During colder months we rarely see a snake bite, but this time of year when people are outside more and the snakes are active we see them much more commonly". So before you head out the door to enjoy a nice walk, make sure you know how to properly treat a snake bite to keep you, and your furry friends, safe.

KETK spoke with Dr. Benjamin Constante from Momentum Urgent Care, who warned that if you are bitten by a snake, "Remain calm and seek medical attention". Head to the emergency room immediately, and have a description of the snake. Constante said, "If they've killed the snake then certainly bringing in the dead snake is OK, preferentially not a live snake, although it has been done".

This is because those old home remedies cannot battle the bite from a venomous animal. Constante advised, "Do not go try to suck out the venom or put a tourniquet on the extremity that was struck, or anything like that. Those are ideas that have proven not beneficial". These actually do more harm than good.

However not all snakes in Texas are poisonous. If you are feeling faint, have immediate bruising, massive swelling, and excruciating pain, odds are it was a venomous bite. Our furry friends may experience similar symptoms, by swelling, limping, and not allowing you to touch a certain area.

Copperhead and Water Moccasin snakes are the most common venomous snakes in East Texas, so keep an eye on curious pets. Veterinarian Cauthen said, "Most of the bites we see are usually in the face, because the dogs are snooping around kind of nosing where they shouldn't be".

Snakes bite more than 8,000 Americans each year, but if handled properly they are rarely fatal.

Comments News Comments
SMALL DOGS are at greater danger!! I didn't know and Mr. Cooper died yesterday morning from a Water Moccasin (3) bite. Snakes bite only what they CAN eat if not threatened! That explains why my Doberman has not been bitten in 13 years but little Cooper (10 lbs. when wet) was. PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF YOU LITTLE GUYS! If only I had known, I would not be grieving so tonight. Take care. C.

Post new Comment