Breaking News

Fire department gets smoke alarms to donate to residents

Fire department gets smoke alarms to donate to residents
Michael Cavazos
News
Monday, October 21, 2013 - 7:52am

With overnight temperatures falling, the threat from portable heating devices rises, Longview fire officials said.

There have been multiple fires caused by space heaters in the city during the past three years, said Fire Marshall Johnny Zackary.

“We have had approximately five fires which caused a loss of property due to the use of a space heater,” said Longview Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary. “(We had) one fire in the past three years that resulted in a loss of a life on Dec. 13, 2010 in the 100 block of Lynnwood.”

And as similar blazes become a bigger part of the department’s job, fire officials are pointing out that properly functioning smoke alarms are key to making sure lives aren’t lost. 

Read more at www.news-journal.com

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment