Fire threatens natural gas station
Longview, TX — Longview firefighters pushed back and quelled flames that were approaching two homes and a natural gas compression station mid-day Monday.
The cause of the Independence Day fire that left no injuries — including a horse that was rescued from a corral that was burned — remains under investigation.
Longview Assistant Fire Marshal Joey Cowan said at the scene that nothing was immediately found to indicate fireworks as a cause.
“We’d just like to encourage everyone to understand we are under a fire ban in Gregg County and to exercise extreme caution,” he said.
Three fire engines and a battalion truck were dispatched shortly before 2 p.m. Monday to Warren Street, which dead-ends into the Eastman Chemical Co., Texas Operations, gas unit. The site is barely outside the Longview city limits off South Eastman Road.
“It did put three residences in harm’s way,” Longview Fire Department District Chief Johnny Zackary said.
Cowan said a dollar figure on the damage was not immediately known. Some hay bales also were threatened.
Read the full story here.