Grill fire leaves Longview family homeless
Longview — A Longview family is homeless after a fire caused by improperly disposed charcoal briquettes caught their deck and house to catch on fire Sunday afternoon, Longview fire marshal Johnny Zackary said.
There were no injuries, but the family’s 15-year-old cat, Gino, suffered smoke inhalation. Zackary said it was unclear whether or not the animal would survive.
“We don’t want to beat up on these folks, but this was an avoidable fire,” Zackary said. “With this being the start of the summer grilling season, I do want to take this opportunity to remind people to make sure that charcoal is completely out — that there are no embers still hot — before they leave the grill and go inside. Maybe this can serve as a warning to other people in this area, so we don’t have any more fires like this.”
The house in the 1200 block of Miami Drive in north central Longview was the home of William and Tia Evans and their two daughters, Talyn, 5, and Leia, 6.
You can see the full story here.