Kilgore Fire Academy will hold ceremony in memory of 343 firefighters who died Sept. 11
POSTED: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 6:17pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 6:29pm
Kilgore, TX — The Kilgore College Fire Academy will hold a ceremony, “Gone but Never Forgotten,” in remembrance of the 343 firefighters and other victims who died on Sept. 11, 2001.
The ceremony is set for 9 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, at the KC Fire Academy Training Grounds, located at 2100 Co. Road 174 in Kilgore (Rusk County).
A new flag pole will be dedicated at the ceremony in memory of the men who died on Sept. 11, 2001.
Mark Fried, Music Minister of Forest Home Baptist Church, will sing the national anthem, and local officials from Gregg County and Rusk County will be in attendance.
All area local firefighters will also be invited to the event.
At the end of the ceremony, fire academy students will demonstrate a “live burn.”
In case of rain, the event will be held in Dodson Auditorium.
For more information, contact Mike Fennell at 903-988-3762.
Directions to Fire Academy Training Grounds from Kilgore:
• from the East Texas Police Academy parking lot (Bert E. Woodruff Adult Education Center), travel SOUTH 4.5 miles on US 259
• turn LEFT onto CR #181 (Poole Road, across from Harmony Church)
• continue on CR #181 for 1.2 miles
• turn LEFT onto CR #173 and go .2 miles to the intersection of CR #174 at the cemetery
• turn RIGHT onto CR #174 (Hayes Road) and travel one mile; range is on your right
Directions to Fire Academy Training Grounds from Henderson:
• travel NORTH on US 259 to FM 2276
• turn RIGHT onto FM 2276 and continue approximately eight miles
• turn LEFT onto RCR #174
• go approximately one mile; range is on your left