Kilgore hotel evacuates after meth lab fire
KILGORE — A Kilgore hotel was evacuated early Wednesday morning after a meth lab caught fire, resulting in three Kilgore residents behind bars and the seizure of drugs, counterfeiting equipment, counterfeit checks, money and forged identification.
Kilgore fire and police officials were dispatched to America’s Best Value Inn and Suites in the 3200 block of U.S. 259 at about midnight in connection with a fire that started in one of the rooms, said Kilgore police spokesman Roman Roberson.
“After the hotel was evacuated and the fire was extinguished within the room, the cause of the fire was soon discovered to be a methamphetamine lab,” Roberson said.
Rebecca Crystal Good, 30 and Tammy Jo Sparks, 40 were arrested at the scene and charged with possession of a controlled substance; John Carroll Moore, 52, was charged with manufacturing and delivery of a controlled substance.
Roberson said 4.1 grams of methamphetamine were found in the room along with lab equipment and chemicals commonly used in manufacturing the drug. A total of 16 grams of meth was found on the suspects.
“Further investigation also revealed a large amount of counterfeiting equipment along with counterfeit checks, money and forged identification in a room adjacent to the room where the fire started,” Roberson added.
Hotel personnel declined to comment about how many people were evacuated from their rooms, but said they were still open for business.
In addition to emergency response officials, drug enforcement agents and a hazardous material team responded to assist with the investigation and to recover chemicals as reported by the Longview News Journal.