Longview family survives scare with carbon monoxide poisoning
Longview, TX — A Longview family is alive and well after a near-death encounter with carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend.
According to Longview Fire Marshall Johnny Zachary, the Middleton's had been exposed to carbon monoxide since Thursday night. After several family members passed out Saturday morning, they called 911 for help and were immediately rushed to a local hospital. They were treated with pure oxygen and have since recovered.
Zachary says the carbon monoxide levels at the house were 200 and 300 parts per million. Exposure above 100 ppm can be dangerous to a person's health. The average level in a home is .5 to 5 ppm.
Officials recommend the public safeguards their home from carbon monoxide poisoning with detectors and making sure your appliances are serviced by a qualified technician.