Longview Transit Offers Free Rides on Dump the Pump Day June 20
Longview, TX (City of Longview) — As an alternative to fluctuating gas prices, Longview Transit will join with other public transportation systems nationwide to participate in the 8th annual National Dump the Pump Day on Thursday, June 20. The slogan of this year’s National Dump the Pump Day is “Dump the Pump. Save Money. Ride Transit.” On Dump the Pump Day, Longview Transit will offer free rides all day.
Sponsored by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) the 2012 National Dump the Pump Day is a day that encourages people to ride public transportation and save money, instead of driving a car. Started in June 2006 when gas prices were $3 per gallon, this national day emphasizes that public transportation is a great travel option that also helps people save money.
With gas prices still well above $3 per gallon in most places, saving money is on everyone’s minds and public transportation is the quickest way to beat unstable gas prices. According to the latest APTA Transit Savings Report (http://www.publictransportation.org/tools/transitsavings) individuals in a two-person household can save an average of more than $9,700 annually by downsizing to one car.
For more information about Longview Transit routes or services, contact Longview Transit at 903-753-2287 or visit www.LongviewTransit.com.
• WHAT: 8th Annual National Dump the Pump Day. Longview Transit will offer free rides all day.
• WHERE: Longview Transit and transit agencies nationwide
• WHEN: Thursday, June 20, 2013 during regular route time: 6:15a.m-7:15p.m.
• In 2012, Americans took 10.4 billion trips on public transportation.
• 35 million times each weekday, people board public transportation.
• Public transportation is a $57 billion industry that employs more than 400,000 people.
• More than 7,300 organizations provide public transportation in the United States.
Public Transportation Enhances Personal Opportunities*
• Public transportation provides personal mobility and freedom for people from every walk of life.
• Access to public transportation gives people transportation options to commute to work, go to school, visit friends, or travel to a doctor’s office.
• Public transportation provides access to job opportunities for millions of Americans.
• 83 percent of older Americans acknowledge public transit provides easy access to things they need in everyday life
* According to the American Public Transportation Association