No Grand Jury In Martin Case
POSTED: Monday, April 9, 2012 - 7:03pm
UPDATED: Monday, April 9, 2012 - 7:14pm
After more than a month of escalating tension the special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case announced she would not go to a grand jury for an indictment against suspect George Zimmerman.
That announcement means that Angela Corey, the special prosecutor assigned by the governor, will make the decision so many have been waiting for more than a month to hear.
The move surprised many who had been waiting for the grand jury decision as a sign of progress in the high profile case.
In a brief written statement Corey said she would not present evidence to a grand jury set to convene tomorrow and "at this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office."
Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump released this statement after the decision:
"We are not surprised by this announcement and, in fact, are hopeful that a decision will be reached very soon to arrest George Zimmerman and give Trayvon Martin's family the simple justice they have been seeking all along."
It has been 45 days since Martin was shot and killed by community watch volunteer George Zimmerman.
His legal team continues to insist he fired in self defense.
"When you're getting your head slammed in the ground after your nose has been broken, that's a pretty good reason to have fear of imminent injury then you are entitled to use force including deadly force to protect yourself," said attorney Hal Uhrig.
Corey has rarley used a grand jury as a prosecutor and legal experts say it doesn't signal anything about what here ultimate decision might be.