O.J. Simpson trial update
POSTED: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:16am
UPDATED: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:59am
Former NFL star O.J. Simpson was back in court in Las Vegas to face armed robbery charges. The jury was seated last week and this was the first day of testimony. Simpson and co-defendant C.J. Stewart have been charged with a dozen counts including and assault with a deadly weapon.
The jury of nine women and three men will hear testimony during the coming weeks. Today, they heard an outline of what's to come.
Prosecutor Chris Owens, outlining his case against O.J. Simpson portrays "that face" as an armed robber and kidnapper.
During opening statements, the jury heard audio recordings including one made by L.A. collectibles trader Thomas Riccio, who arranged the meeting between Simpson and the sports memorabilia dealers he and four others allegedly robbed last September.
Legal analyst Royal Oakes says "a very strong point for the defense is the fact that Riccio, a co-conspirator, went to the cops, the FBI in advance of the robbery."
In opening remarks by the defense, Yale Galanter said the case is not about memorabilia, it's about money.
He said Simpson was on a mission for recovery, not robbery, that he went to the casino hotel to retrieve items that had been stolen from him.
But the prosecution's first witness countered that argument.
Memorabilia dealer Bruce Fromong says "the photographs, and that sort of thing, that had Mr. Simpson's signature on them had been paid for. I had paid him for those autographs."
Memorabilia dealer Bruce Fromong, at one point during testimony fromong broke down in tears when asked about his friendship with Simpson before the alleged robbery.
Then during cross examination, he left the the courtroom because of a medical issue.
Fromong has had several heart attacks in the past.
He's the first of 25 to 30 witnesses expected to be called in the trial.