One East Texas neighborhood on high alert due to recent increase of burglaries
POSTED: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 - 11:34pm
UPDATED: Thursday, February 6, 2014 - 11:16am
Tyler , TX (KETK) — A recent rash of burglaries in one Smith county neighborhood, has residents on high alert. Several people that live off of Highway 64 in Chapel Hill have seen an increase of suspicious behavior, and even some have had things taken.
Bobby Logan and his family have lived in Chapel Hill for more than twenty years. He says they've never had to deal with anything like this, but early last week more than $700 worth of tools and equipment went missing from his truck during the night. "I'm just a working guy trying to make it and they took the tools that i use to make my living and that's really aggravating," said Logan.
Due to recent events the Smith County Sheriff's Office "stepped up enforcement in that particular area because of the reports of this." John Moore, of the Smith County Sheriff's Office, says everyone can take part in putting an end to this problem, and that the "eyes and the ears of the people that live in the neighborhood are often the biggest help."
Here's some tips local law enforcement say will really deter criminals from making you, their next target.
- Lock your doors.
- Make sure your house is well lit.
- Think about purchasing a burglar alarm, or security system. Some insurance providers will cover this.
- Don't leave anything valuable in your car, but if you do make sure its hidden.
- Know your neighbors. Get their phone numbers, and remember the cars they drive.
- Report ANY suspicious behavior to the sheriff's office, or local law enforcement.
Smith County Sheriff's Office - (903) 590-2600