Opening and dedication ceremony for the Ceaugry and W.B. Houston Center
Tyler, Texas (KETK) — The community is invited to attend the dedication and opening ceremony of the Ceaugry and W.B. Houston Center at 10 a.m., Friday, July 19, 2013, at 1313 North Palace Ave.
An open house and a tour of the facility will follow the ceremony.
The center was built to house the "Bread in a Starving Land, Feeding the Hungry," ministry of the Smith Temple Church of God in Christ and will also be open for public use as a community resource center and banquet facility.
The center will be located in the area of north Tyler formerly known as the "Cut," which was a thriving business center for the African American community in Tyler.
The children of Ceaugry and W.B. Houston built the facility in honor of the memory of their parents who had dedicated their lives to missionary work in Tyler.
Bishop W.B. Houston was a life-time resident of Tyler and was the Founder and Pastor of Houston Temple Church of God in Christ in Tyler for 73 years as well as Pastor for the First Church of God in Christ in Carthage for 63 years. He was also a pastor at churches in Athens, Center, Whitehouse and Texarkana throughout his lifetime.
Missionary Ceaugry Houston was born in Palestine and came to Tyler in 1926 when she married W.B. Houston. She was very active in the community and served as District Missionary for the Tyler and Terrell districts of the Church of God in Christ for many years.
For information on the ceremony contact Bishop D. R. Houston at 903-571-2158.