Breaking News

Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 9:52pm
Neal Barton's POV

The real story behind unemployment figures

MGN-Online
POV

POSTED: Friday, April 5, 2013 - 11:35am

UPDATED: Monday, December 9, 2013 - 6:08pm

Remember back when George W. Bush was president and the 5.4 percent unemployment rate was unacceptable?

Ahhh, those were the good old days.

New unemployment numbers came out today for the month of March.

The good news, and there really isn't any, the unemployment rate dropped to 7.6 percent.

The bad news is we only created 88,000 new jobs.

The reason for the conflicting numbers, more and more people are discouraged and have dropped out of the job market.

There is still a feeling of uncertainty about the country's overall financial health.

The old tax break ran out a few months ago.

A lot of folks realize something is wrong. Those who follow news know what happened.

Other low-information voters think their employers are doing something wrong or just don't care.

Zerohedge.com reports: “Things just keep getting worse for the American worker, and by implication US economy, where as we have shown many times before, it pays just as well to sit back and collect disability and various welfare and entitlement checks, than to work.”

The best manifestation of this: The number of people not in the labor force which in March, soared by a massive 663,000 to a record 90 million Americans who are no longer even looking for work.

This was the biggest monthly increase in people dropping out of the labor force since January 2012.

It's a mess. Something needs to be done. But, the president still is campaigning.

And Republicans seem to be asleep.

That's my point of view, what's yours?

You can email me at pov@ketknbc.com or Facebook me at KETK Neal Barton.
 

Comments News Comments

The number of new jobless claims is a gauge of layoffs in the nation. As they decline, it is expected that hiring will pick up. The four-week moving average, a more accurate measure that smooths out weekly volatility, fell from 352,750 to 350,000. The measure has not dropped that low since early 2008. Ask for a cash assistance to help pay for things while you are looking for a new job.

It is not a republican problem, it is the failure of all elected officals. They all have done nothing but do things that benifit them, their friends or for money. They do not care if you live or die. Stop playing the election card thinking one is better than another. These elected people are sorry humans and we need to start seeing them as that until they do something to help we the people who pay them. Disfunctional and worthless is the way to describe the elected officals.

It is not a republican problem, it is the failure of all elected officals. They all have done nothing but do things that benifit them, their friends or for money. They do not care if you live or die. Stop playing the election card thinking one is better than another. These elected people are sorry humans and we need to start seeing them as that until they do something to help we the people who pay them. Disfunctional and worthless is the way to describe the elected officals.

I remember when George W. Bush took office, the unemployment rate was 5.4 percent thanks to Bill Clinton and 8.2 % when he (Bush) left office and climbing. 100 to 700 thousand jobs lost each month in his last year. THAT WAS NOT Obamanomics !!!

Since the media slants all the media to support Obama, you must go & look at the numbers on the Gov't sites.

There it clearly tells you that the only numbers reported in the media is the positive side of the poor numbers.

How long will people tolerant this type of reporting.??

This is worse than Pravda.

At least then you KNEW it was slanted , now one keeps assuming is is actual fact reporting.

This is like the weather being reported "20% chance for rain instead of'80% chance for clear'!

I am glad you acknowledged republicans are not doing anything along with the democrats that are not doing anything. I hardly find myself nodding my head in agreement with you because you always take the far right stance and never see anything down the middle, but you are pretty spot on here. Are you coming to the rational side? the side that is neither rep or dem and cares about all people and not just the wealthy, religious or poor and lazy? Believe me, there is plenty of room on this side!

Fused, "all about nothing Neal" is an empty vessel who would sell-out his neighbor like he sold-out East Texas during the Ron Paul campaign in 2011-12. If so ordered by his NBC bosses, he'd gladly broadcast what Labor Camp we were to report to tomorrow. He lacks the integrity needed to hold his job, that responsibility to truth that one assumes when they become a journalist. He could tell you the truth about the ethnic group controlling our economy, but he won't. He'd rather censor me instead.

If you don't know how a weak dollar and the non-farm jobs report relate then, pass this comment. If you understand how a weak dollar yields record stock market and increased home prices then you understand inflation, and you realize what QE3 is about. That we are a strong currency compared to the Euro kills manufacturing jobs and this week Japan has began to weaken their yen. Fewer jobs, higher prices, increased taxes to slow inflation and a world in debt. To say the economy improves is a lie.

Obamanomics will make the country into a workers paradise just like the USSR and Red China's! We will be the envy of Cuba, Zimbabwe, and Venezuela as our workers march together with arms locked.

And our Obamacare will rival England's NHS (National Health Service) where you only have to wait six months for a minor operation. All those Canadian doctors who came down here for better wages than Canada's version of NHS, well they will just have to work for the same wages here.

Truth to power!

Post new Comment