Breaking News

Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 7:10am
Watches & Warnings Warnings

Preventing an electrical fire from destroying your home

KETK
News

POSTED: Thursday, January 9, 2014 - 6:25pm

UPDATED: Thursday, January 9, 2014 - 7:27pm

Coming home to your house in flames is something no one wants to experience. Be it a small fire you catch early or a roaring blaze that rips through your home, the damage is always devastating. Especially if you knew it is something you could have prevented.

The United States Fire Administration reports that over 28,000 residential electrical fires occur annually. This accounts for almost a billion dollars in property loss, 1,000 injuries and more than 360 deaths.

The biggest mistake people make? Plugging major appliances into power strips or extension cords.

"Surge strips are not designed for normal usage and neither is extension cords in a home," said Russell Zumwalt, owner of Mr. Sparky. "People have space heaters and TVs plugged into it, everything, and that device is not designed for that."

Make sure each of your major appliances has its own outlet, be sure your house has enough circuits to keep it up to code, get your home checked annually, and never take electric wiring into your own hands.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment