RECALL: Ground oregano possibly contaminated with Salmonella
SPARKS, Md — A major company that provides seasonings for food is recalling a product due to possible Salmonella contamination.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is initiating a voluntary recall of McCormick® Ground Oregano, 0.75 oz bottle, UPC 0-523561-6 with code dates BEST BY AUG 21 16 H and AUG 22 16 H due to possible contamination with Salmonella. This recall does not impact any other McCormick Ground, Whole or Oregano Leaves products.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The product subject to this recall is:
- McCormick® Ground Oregano 0.75 oz bottle
- UPC NUMBER: 52100003566 (as seen on label: 0-523561-6)
- MCCORMICK ITEM NUMBER: 900356
- AFFECTED DATE CODES: BEST BY AUG 21 16 H, BEST BY AUG 22 16 H
- SHIPPING DATES: April 4, 2014 to August 5, 2014
- STATES SHIPPED TO: AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, and WV
- INTERNATIONALLY SHIPPED TO: Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Indonesia, Jamaica, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand, and Virgin Islands
The potential risk was brought to McCormick’s attention by FDA during routine testing. This recall affects 1,032 cases that were shipped of the affected date codes.
McCormick has alerted customers and grocery outlets to remove the product with the affected date codes from store shelves and distribution centers immediately, and to destroy this product in a manner that would prevent any further consumption.
Consumers do not need to return the product to the store where it was purchased. Instead, consumers are urged to dispose of the recalled product and its container. Please contact McCormick Consumer Affairs at 1-800-632-5847, weekdays from 9:30 AM to 8:00 PM (Eastern Time), for a replacement or full refund, and with general inquires.