Ricky Neal trial, man accused of murder in mall shooting

Ricky Neal trial, man accused of murder in mall shooting

POSTED: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 - 8:29pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 - 9:39am

The trial continues for an East Texan accused of fatally shooting a man in a Tyler mall parking lot last year. 

Ricky Neal Jr., 27, of Tyler is charged with murder and aggravated assault.

Extending into the trial's second week, more witnesses took the stand on Tuesday.

Neal is accused of shooting Christopher Mass on February 9, 2013 in the parking lot of Broadway Square mall in Tyler.

Mass was a man Neal claims he didn't know. Mass was a friend of Jonathan Dews, a man Neal had issues with over social media messages involving a girlfriend.

Smith County Officials say, Neal and his girlfriend Tamara Norris (who testified the first week of the trial) went to the mall to buy shoes at Champs around 9 a.m. February 9.  Neal claims when he approached the shoe store he saw a group of men, and in that group was Dews.

Through investigation, police say there was a short confrontation with Neal and Dews inside the mall and it continued in the parking lot where the shooting occurred.

Head Detective Shine who interviewed Neal almost two hours after the shooting took the stand. Neal's attorney Thad Davidson asked about Neal's motive, Shine says Neal admitted to shooting Mass and Dews. Neal claims when he saw Mass get out of the car he thought he may pull out a weapon, so he shot him mutiple times. Officials say, no weapons were found in Mass' car.

Dews current parole officer Victoria Dailey took the stand on Tuesday. Dews has a parole officer for his prior record. His record was questioned by Davidson. They discussed Dews five few violations, including driving with without a license.
During that testimony,  Davidson questioned Dews character and ability to tell the truth.

A witness who was walking inside the mall that morning took the stand and witnessed a group of people standing outside Champs and JCPenny before and that was before Neal had arrived to Champs. The witness was excused since most of his testimony was hear-say.

The defense and prosecution team discussed the mall video, evidence and testimonies were reviewed Tuesday afternoon.

We learned late Tuesday that court was in session up until 6 p.m. We'll continue to update on Ricky Neal's trial. 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment