Safety tips for the holiday season
Longview, Texas (KETK) — Longview Police are offering holiday safety tips for the holiday season.
The tips below are offered to remind citizens that as they head into the 2013 holiday season to make safety a priority.
You can never be too careful, too aware, or too prepared.
1. Beware of strangers and never stop if flagged down. Call 911 and give them the information.
2. Avoid shopping alone. Have a partner, especially after dark.
3. Keep your doors and windows locked at all times.
4. Park in well lit areas of the parking lot.
5. Have your keys in hand when you are walking to your car.
6. Carry a small purse or wallet if possible. The bigger the bag the more inviting it is to the thief.
7. Keep an eye on your bank or credit card balance. Thieves love to get themselves a "little extra cash or credit" this time of year.
8. If possible, leave small children at home with a trusted relative or babysitter.
9. Never leave small children unattended in a vehicle.
10. Never leave your car engine running and keys in the ignition.
11. Don't advertise big ticket items by putting the boxes at the road for sanitation pickup.
12. Beware of solicitors that may approach you in the parking lot. Do not talk to them, call police and give them a description.