Several accidents, power outages reported across East Texas
POSTED: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 7:44pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 5:49pm
East Texas (KETK) — KETK reports most elevated roadways have/or are in the process of icing over.
Sgt. Roberson with Tyler Police tells KETK that all bridges in the Tyler area are open but for drivers to exercise caution while driving the roadways.
Several trucks have dumped sand across the bridge to keep drivers from slipping and sliding.
TxDOT official, Larry Krantz tells us that they are down one dump truck.
It happened on Interstate 20 in the mile marker area of 540 and 544, when a TxDOT dump truck was hit by a drunk driver driving a pickup truck.
Larry says they have multi-vehicle convoys with 'crash cushions' which protect the dump truck if another driver hits it.
However, the driver of the truck crashed into an area without the crash cushion and hit the dump truck.
Fortunately, the TxDOT employee is fine, but is unknown the condition of the truck driver.
Krantz tells us that TxDOT is now down a dump truck at a time they desperately need it.
Please remember to slow down when you see a TxDOT driver. They are working to make the roads safe for citizens.
There are also several power outages being reported across East Texas:
Oncor is reporting the following:
- Anderson County: 48, power restoration estimated for Wednesday at 2:00 p.m.
- Cherokee County: 362, power restoration estimated for Wednesday at 12:00 p.m.
- Henderson County: 342, power restoration estimated for Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.
- Houston County: 364, power restoration estimated at at 9:30 p.m.
- Nacogdoches County: 39, power restoration estimated for Wednesday at 1:30 a.m.
- Rusk County: 63, power restoration estimated for Tuesday at 11:30 p.m.
- Smith County: 1,875, power restoration estimated for Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.
- Van Zandt County: 144, power restoration estimated for Wednesday at 3:30 a.m.
SWEPCO is reporting the following:
- Gregg County: 2,077, power restoration estimation not available.
- Harrison County: 2,543, power restoration estimation not available.
- Rusk County: 486, power restoration estimation not available.