Smith County fire may have been caused by cigarette

Smith County fire may have been caused by cigarette
News
Monday, June 11, 2012 - 3:58pm

A grass fire that burned off of Highway 271 on Monday afternoon, may have been caused by a cigarette, according to fire officials.

Red Springs and Winona fire departments responded to the fire near Smith County Road 383 around 2:30pm on Monday.

It was a small fire - a little over half an acre - but spread quickly because of the wind.

Officials tell KETK crews on the scene, that since the fire is so close to the road, they believe a cigarette tossed out a car window is to blame.

Aside from a few remaining hot spots, the fire has been contained.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment