Breaking News

Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 9:52pm

Some spring plants can poison your pets

News

POSTED: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 6:35pm

UPDATED: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 6:37pm

Before you start planting your spring garden, you might want to think twice about which flowers you choose. Azaleas, hydrangeas and lilies have more in common than just their beautiful petals. These plants, among many other spring flowers, could kill your pets.

Agriculture and Natural Resources expert, Chad Gulley tells KETK, "There are plants in our landscape that we have on a regular basis but we need to be very careful with out animals."

Oleanders, daffodils, and tulips are among the other flowers that could be making your pet sick.

The problem of eating these dangerous flowers is not with older animals, but rather with puppies. Gulley explains, "It's young puppies that have that instinct to chew, and little teeth that are coming in. They feel like they've got to chew on something. Like the bark of a tree, or the leaves of the stem."

While chewing on a stem or leaf might sound harmless, sometimes those are the most dangerous parts of the plant. The problem is, pet owners might not be around to see when their pet eats one of these dangerous plants. Shelley Drive Animal Clinic's Veterinarian Justin Twomey tells KETK there are a few signs you can look for, saying, "One of the first things that we see in a lot of them is either vomiting or diarrhea. Some kinds of GI upset from ingesting them. A lot of plants will just cause GI upset and then some can also be fatal."

If you believe your pet has ingested one of these plants, your safest choice is to take them to the nearest vet, where they will do blood work to test your animals organs for poisoning.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment