Breaking News

The dangers of chemicals

The dangers of chemicals
Photo Credit: MGN OnlineAIR FRESHENERS

POSTED: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:41pm

UPDATED: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:58pm

(KETK)  -- April 4, 2012 a house explodes in south Tyler on South loop 323, while a contractor does some floor work.

Sunday April 21st Tyler police investigate an accidental death at Tyler's city hall.
A sub-contractor working for RPR Construction was found dead.

Police say it was due to breathing in toxic fumes while working.

We see the labels on the back of bottles, the warnings are there in black and white.

but many of us don't read them. Russell Hopkins from Northeast Texas Public Health district says, we should; “Take time to read the labels, use it properly, use it as instructed….there's information that will save your life."

Some of the most dangerous and deadly chemicals in the world are things we all have at home.

Hopkins says, “Bleach is a very powerful acid. So is hydrogen peroxide in concentrations above three percent."

Hopkins says if you're going to use these chemicals make sure you're in a well ventilated area.

He says, “Have fans exhaust fans point them you know so that it draws the air out of the house,” and he says don't ignore the warnings, and follow instructions. His expert advice: “If a product says wear a mask, spend that extra buck at a hardware store and get a mask."

As we saw from the tragedy at Tyler city hall on Sunday, wearing a mask could have been the difference between life and death.


Most air fresheners interfere with your ability to smell by coating your nasal passages with an oil film, or by releasing a nerve deadening agent. Known toxic chemicals found in an air freshener: Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Phenol: When phenol touches your skin it can cause it to swell, burn, peel, and break out in hives. Can cause cold sweats,convulsions, circulatory collapse, coma and even death.

It is a very volatile chemical, it is very damaging to your eyes, respiratory tract and skin.

It is a strong corrosive. It will irritate or burn the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. It may cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if ingested. WARNING: never mix bleach with ammonia it may cause fumes which can be DEADLY.

Most formulas are designed to over power the stain itself, they accomplish the task but not without using highly toxic substances. Some include: Perchlorethylene: Known carcinogen damages liver, kidney and nervous system damage. Ammonium Hydroxide: Corrosive, extremely irritable to eyes, skin and respiratory passages.

Most products contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentrated.# 1 cause of child poisonings, according to poison control centers.

Most drain cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid or trichloroethane. Lye: Caustic, burns skin and eyes, if ingested will damage esophagus and stomach. Hydrochloric acid: Corrosive, eye and skin irritant, damages kidneys, liver and digestive tract. Trichloroethane: Eye and skin irritant, nervous system depressant; damages liver and kidneys.

Petroleum Distillates: Highly flammable, can cause skin and lung cancer. Phenol: (see Air fresheners, Phenol.) Nitrobenzene: Easily absorbed through the skin, extremely toxic.

Chemicals contained are: Sodium hypochlorite: Corrosive, irritates or burns skin and eyes, causes fluid in the lungs which can lead to coma or death. Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Irritant to eyes, nose, throat, and skin. May cause nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, memory loss and shortness of breath.

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye): Caustic, strong irritant, burns to both skin and eyes. Inhibits reflexes, will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed.

may contain: Triclosan: Absorption through the skin can be tied to liver damage.

Sodium or calcium hypocrite: Highly corrosive, irritates or burns skin, eyes or respiratory tract. Linear alkylate sulfonate: Absorbed through the skin. Known liver damaging agent. Sodium Tripolyphosphate: Irritates skin and mucous membranes, causes vomiting. Easily absorbed through the skin from clothes.

Hydrochloric acid: Highly corrosive, irritant to both skin and eyes. Damages kidneys and liver. Hypochlorite Bleach: Corrosive, irritates or burns eyes, skin and respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema, vomiting or coma if ingested. Contact with other chemicals may cause chlorine fumes which may be fatal.

(this list was complied by numerous news sources)

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment