The future of gun shows
POSTED: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 7:48pm
UPDATED: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:08am
TYLER, TX (KETK) — We might be jumping the "gun" a little bit, but what would change if congress passes these new gun laws proposed by President Obama?
Don Layton from Tyler has been setting up shop at gun shows in Texas for years, it won't do anything, Layton says, "They don't need any more laws, I don't think it will affect the gun shows."
Wednesday President Obama announced his plan for universal background checks for firearms.
In part of President Obama’s speech he said, “As many as 40 percent of gun purchases are conducted without a background check."
Part of the President’s plan is to change that by closing what is called the "gun show loophole" that allows a large chunk of gun buyers to avoid a criminal background check by purchasing their firearms from private dealers, like at a gun show.
In the past closing this loophole never passed into law, and now it's on the table again.
The Texas State Rifle Association says closing this "so called" loop-hole won't hurt gun shows, because the majority of vendors go by the book and do background checks, only about 10% don't and Alicia Tripp, a representative from the TSRA says she doesn't know how the government will enforce those checks.
Tripp says, “I don't see gun shows closing, 90 percent of all vendors at a gun show already have this license already do these checks and if they require the other 10 percent who go there to buy and sell and trade occasionally, we don't know how it will work.?"
Layton says, “I’ve been in the business a long time, and I've seen a lot of things go by and I really don't think it will affect us one bit."