Tyler family of eight loses Christmas gifts, everything in fire
POSTED: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:30pm
UPDATED: Thursday, April 8, 2010 - 3:04am
TYLER - With Christmas just two weeks away - most families are busy wrapping presents and preparing for guests.
But for one Tyler family of eight - that's not the case.
Tragically, an early morning fire destroyed everything they own.
"It's the little ones first Christmas," said Drew, the oldest boy. "We don't get to do Christmas in our home. We have to do it in a hotel room. I'm just sad."
Drew said he looked forward to watching his five siblings, including 3 infants, open their presents.
His mom, Tammy and her husband, are distraught. They tried to save the family's belongings, but they say it caught on fire too quick.
"The main thing that bothers me is the kid's Christmas. Their toys are gone, everything."
The fire started in Drew's bedroom around early Thursday morning.
Everyone was asleep. He woke up the entire family and got everyone out just in time.
Investigators said the burn patterns indicate the space heater caught the wall on fire and spread to the attic.
The family pet, a dog, died in the fire.
The home sits in the Charnwood Residential Historic District in Tyler, it was built in 1916.
All that's left is the frame and bricks on the outside.
The Miller family is now forced to start over.
"Not knowing where we're going to live, what we're going to do....is hard," said Mrs. Miller.
The Red Cross is providing the family a hotel room for three days.
If you would like to help the Miller's - visit any Southside Bank location. A fund has been set up for the family.
In you are interested in donating clothes, toys, diapers or other items -contact the Red Cross at (903) 581-7981. Donations can be made under the Humphries-Miller Fund.