TYLER FIRE: Kitchen grill reported cause of fire at local restaurant
POSTED: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 10:36am
UPDATED: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 3:31pm
Tyler, Texas (KETK) — The Tyler Fire Department believes a grill inside a Tyler restaurant sparked a fire Tuesday morning.
"The call came in at 9:59 that there was a fire at On the Border. Initially responded as a one-alarm fire," said Deputy Fire Marshal, Tony Gumber. "First arriving units found smoke visible and called a second alarm as precaution. Units arrived and the fire was pretty much extinguished by the extinguishing system. Firefighters basically did a thorough check of the attic and the vent-a-hood system to make sure there was no extension of the fire. There were no injuries and there was apparently some confusion in the kitchen casuing ne of the grills to catch fire."
Fire crews have extinguished the fire at On the Border located at 4301 South Broadway.
The initial call was received by dispatch around 9:59 a.m., and arriving units reported smoke conditions and a second alarm was called.
Eight fire department units were dispatched to the incident. Initial reports indicate that the fire originated in the kitchen area, near the vent hood.
While the fire has been contained, firefighters are currently working to ensure the fire has been completely extinguished.
Investigators with the Tyler Fire Marshal’s Office are still investigating and details will be released as they become available.