Tyler ISD officials warn about "Choking Game"

News

POSTED: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 7:39pm

UPDATED: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 11:28am

A deadly game is gaining popularity with teens across the country, and now it's getting the attention of Tyler ISD officials.   It's called the 'Choking Game," but officials say it's anything but that.  The game is when teens choke each other or choke themselves to get a brief high.  The feel-good high is actually the killing of brain cells, and often makes the student pass out.

Tyler ISD officials say they have had 10-12 reports from Tyler students who saw the choking game in the last 3-4 weeks. Today, those officials held a press conference because they say they are concerned for the students' safety. 

There are potentially serious medical problems that could result from the game, such as brain injuries, seizures, and in severe cases loss of life.

Officials say these are the signs that a child may be playing the choking game:

Bloodshot or red eyes, marks on the neck, dizziness, severe headaches, mood changes, spending more time in the room with the door closed, unusual need for privacy, new interest in wearing scarves or high collars, and ropes, scarves, or belts tied to the bedroom door or bedposts.

They ask parents to contact school administrators if any signs of the game are seen at home.  They also say there could be legal ramifications for being involved with the Choking Game.

Research shows a lot of the kids involved are high achievers, make good grades, don't do drugs or drink alcohol.  It also shows most who died from the game did it while they were alone, and the parents did not know even know about the game.

Fortunately, no one has died from the game in East Texas, but Tyler officials want to keep it that way.
 

Comments News Comments

There have been choking game deaths in East Texas - here is one that was documented in Paris Texas - the info is on the youngs man's MySpace page that is maintained by his mother:
http://www.myspace.com/ilmocameron
Cameron Boyer
Our son, your friend and God's child died way too soon because he was trying to get "high" or get a "rush" from cutting off the blood supply to his brain causing a loss of consciousness that he could not save himself from once he blacked out. this is REAL

Educational and Informational material available online at http://GASPinfo.com
Games Adolescents Shouldn't Play
Sarah Pacatte, Mother of Gabriel Mordecai, choking game victim

Post new Comment