UT Health Northeast to host 'Lung Cancer 2013'
POSTED: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 10:09am
UPDATED: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 10:19am
Tyler, TX (KETK) — Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in both men and women in the United States. And lung cancer rates are higher in East Texas than anywhere else in the state.
Learn what you can do to lower your risks for lung cancer and hear about the latest treatments at “Lung Cancer 2013,” a free conference from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., in the Biomedical Research Auditorium on the campus of UT Health Northeast, located at the intersection of U.S. 271 and Texas 155.
Six medical professionals will talk about lung cancer trends here and nationwide, what you can do if you’re diagnosed with lung cancer, and new lung cancer treatments that are being developed. Topics of the sessions and their presenters are:
· “Understanding Lung Cancer: Setting the Stage,” Tim Ochran, MS, board certified medical physicist
· “Lung Cancer: Are You or Someone You Know at Risk?” Julie Philley, MD, pulmonologist
· “Facing a Diagnosis of Lung Cancer,” Bill Hyman, MD, medical oncologist
· “Cancer Treatment: The Powerful Weapons in the War on Cancer,” Lewis Smith, MD, radiation oncologist
· “Lung Cancer and Stacking the Deck in Your Favor,” Hitesh Singh, MD, medical oncologist
· “The Future of the Cancer Care Puzzle: How Will the Pieces Fit?” Edward Sauter, MD, Ph.D, nationally known cancer expert specializing in prevention.
The lung cancer conference is free, but seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Lunch is provided.
For reservations, call (903) 877-7147.