POSTED: Friday, December 13, 2013 - 11:42am
UPDATED: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 12:00pm
Tyler, Texas (KETK) — Many people are truly terrified of Friday the 13th. It’s a real fear. Those who suffer from friggatriskaidekaphobia (yes, that's the actual term) may not be the first in line today to pick up their Mega Millions Lottery tickets, but for others, the unlucky day have some wondering if there is anything to the hype.
If you’re not spending your day barricaded inside of your home, wearing a helmet or knee pads, then we suggest you enjoy the day. It has become a tradition at many tattoo parlors from around the nation to offer special “13” tattoos on Friday the 13th. But if you’re one of the people who have ever wondered if there was ever anything to the Friday the 13th superstition, we’ve compiled a list of things that happened on a Friday the 13th. You can decide for yourself if there’s any merit to the unlucky stigma.
• Friday, January 13th, 1854 – The accordion was patented.
• Friday, July 13th, 1923 – The Hollywood sign, which originally read “HOLLYWOODLAND” was unveiled as a promotion to advertise a nearby housing development in Los Angeles.
• Friday, September 13, 1940 - German bombs hit Buckingham Palace, destroying the palace’s chapel.
• Friday, October 13th, 1972 – a Fairchild airplane carrying a rugby team from Motevideo to Chile disappeared over the Andes Mountains. The incident was immortalized in the film “Alive.”
• Friday, June 13th, 1986 – Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen were born.
• Friday, September 13th, 1996 – Tupac Shakur is killed.
• Friday, August 13th, 1999 – Director Alfred Hitchcock would have turned 100.
• Friday, August 13th, 2004 – Julia Child dies.
• Friday, August 13th, 2014 – Olympic Opening Ceremony in Athens, Greece.
• Friday, January 13th, 2012 – Costa Concordia Cruise Ship runs aground in Italy