National cheese pizza day
POSTED: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 2:44pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 3:29pm
Today's food holiday is worth its weight in dough - September 5 is National Cheese Pizza Day.
There's something so simple yet satisfying about a cheese pizza. Sure, it's delicious when served straight out of a brick oven at your local pie place, but even more so is when you make it yourself.
Making pizzas at home is much easier than you think and only requires minimal prep work. Here are some tips:
- Pizza dough needs to rest. The dough consists of water, flour, yeast and salt. The dough will need about an hour and a half before it's ready to use. If you're worried about the end-of-day slump, make the dough in the morning. It literally takes about 10 minutes if you've got a stand mixer.
- If you think for a second that you might make pizzas more than once in your life, buy a pizza stone. Most cost less than $15 and they're key to a crispy crust.
- You don't always have to bake your pizza, it's also great on the grill.
Now, specifically for a cheese pizza:
- Choose a blend of cheeses. Ones that melt and brown up easily should be balanced with harder, more salty cheeses. Think fresh mozzarella with pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano. You can also mix goat's, sheep's and cow's milk cheeses for different tangs.
- Don't forget the seasonings. Oregano, red pepper flake, rosemary and black pepper are particularly keen on a cheese pizza.
- Don't heat up leftovers in the microwave, do so in a warm oven.
™ & © 2012 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.