POSTED: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 11:46am
UPDATED: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 11:57am
CNN — An Oklahoma man is under fire for his license plate that says "F CANCER."
But he says that the F in "F CANCER" stands for fight.
The state tax commission wants him to change his custom license plate because people have been complaining about the implied vulgarity.
He says that his fight isn't against the state, it's against cancer.
Nick Williams, 32, has had surgery on his brain for brain cancer. He says that they have gotten 60 percent of it but the other 40 percent is still entwined in his brain.
He says, "My 'F' it stands for fight. Some people look at it as a different word, but I'm fighting brain cancer. I've had it for about 2 and a half years now."
Williams over the past two and a half years has had surgery, chemotherapy, and countless visits to the hospital.
When Williams got the letter from the tax commission saying he needed to change his "F CANCER" license plates, he called to plead his case.
"After I told him what the pates said and everything, he got offensive, kind of. He said, 'Oh, I get complaints all the time." said Williams.
Williams says that he understands that strangers may confuse the license plate at first, but like the scar on the side of his head, he says it's a symbol of pride that he chooses to wear proudly.
He plans to call the tax commission again on Monday and explain his situation to a supervisor.