POSTED: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 6:39pm
UPDATED: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 10:22pm
Tyler, TX — Whether you choose propane or charcoal, the one thing all grills have in common is they could both land you in the hospital. In fact, each year almost eighteen thousand Americans make their way to emergency rooms with grilling related burns. ETMC Wound Care Physician Dr. Shawn Pierce says, "The worst ones that we see are the flash burns where somebody is using a gasoline, or not a charcoal lighter fluid, on the grill and they get the flash up into the face."
These accidents are usually caused by forgetting to turn off the propane. Light Your Fire's Brandon Walker explains, "Being that propane is heavier than natural gas, the propane will settle to the bottom of everything if people are unaware of that by the time they light the grill, an explosion is kind of what happens after the build up comes into place."
Although, it is not just the tank that can cause problems, even the placement of the grill is important. Walker says, "Make sure you are well ventilated you never want to have your grill inside. You never want to have it under a tight patio with a lot of brush."
No matter what the severity of the burn might be, Dr. Pierce says there are a few steps you must immediately take. "You need to get cool water, and try and get any contamination off of there.Then if it is to the face, especially go to an emergency room."