Gladewater — An investigation into the Aug. 16 fire that destroyed a Gladewater landmark has been closed without determining the cause of the blaze.
Gladewater Fire Chief Wayne “Snuffy” Smith said Wednesday that after consultations with county and state fire marshals, it was determined the Bumpus House was too unstable to allow for a thorough investigation.
The turn of the century colonial home, located near the busy intersection of U.S. 80 and U.S. 271, was listed as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1994. In recent years it had housed a restaurant but was vacant at the time of the fire, which broke out on the first floor.
Read mroe at www.news-journal.com