POSTED: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 6:39pm
UPDATED: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 6:41am
Tyler, Texas (KETK) — A home in Tyler was left heavily damaged after it caught fire Thursday evening.
Firefighters tell KETK, the blaze sparked in the 600 block of North Confederate Avenue.
They arrived to find the home heavily involved and quickly made access to the interior, in search of possible victims.
The occupant had safely exited the residence and firefighters promptly extinguished the fire.
The structure suffered heavy fire and smoke damage throughout.
However, no injuries were reported.
Fire Investigators believe that the fire originated in the kitchen, when the stove was left unattended and in the “on” position.
The occupant was alerted of the problem when a smoke alarm activated within the residence.
While the occupant made an attempt to extinguish the fire, the smoke conditions within the structure became too severe and forced him out.
The Tyler Fire Department reminds citizens to ensure they have properly installed and operable smoke alarms throughout their homes.
Having working smoking alarms installed inside of your home greatly reduces your risk of death from a fire.
Additionally, cooking operations continue to be the leading cause of all residential building fires and injuries.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an estimated 164,500 cooking fires occurred in residential buildings each year in the United States between 2008 and 2010.
Remember, don’t place yourself in danger by trying to fight a fire on your own.
When in doubt, just get out and call 911.
For more information regarding fire safety, or to obtain information about the Tyler Fire Department’s annual Smoke Alarm Installation program, contact the Tyler Fire Marshal’s Office at 903-535-0007.