POSTED: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 11:11pm
UPDATED: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 11:14pm
Longview, TX (KETK) — Pine Tree ISD is raising awareness for cancer during their annual Pink Out event.
This years theme is "Tackle Cancer" and will feature events throughout the week with their "Pink Out" game against Texas High on October 11.
The week is used as an awareness campaign and fundraiser sponsored by the Pine Tree High School Football Booster Club. All proceeds to benefit Texas Oncology Foundation located in Longview.
• T-shirt sales: “Tackle Cancer” t-shirts were been sold at various PT events and in the PT Stadium Spirit Shop for the last two months. Fans are encouraged to wear them to the football game on October 11, 2013.
• Paper helmets Sales: Both pink & purple paper helmets can were sold at PT events in honor or memory of those affected by cancer. All helmets will be displayed on an honor wall at the PT Stadium during the game on October 11.
• Change jars: Jars have been displayed at various PT events as an opportunity to donate change for the cause.
• Kiss the Pig Contest: During the week of Oct 7-11, Pine Tree High School students can donate cash during their lunch break. Four individuals from the PTHS staff have been invited to participate in this event and each will be represented on a change jar. The staff member with the most money in their jar by the end of lunch on Friday will get to kiss a pig at the PTHS pep rally that afternoon.
District involvement on October 11, 2013:
• Each campus principal will encourage both staff and students to wear pink to school on this day.
• The “Kiss the Pig” contest winner will be revealed at the PTHS pep rally.
• Fans are encouraged to wear pink to the football game.
• Football players will wear pink athletic socks during the football game.
• Precision performers will wear pink hat bands and use pink pom poms during the football game.
• Band members will wear pink hat bands during the football game.
• Bucs will wear pink neck ties during the football game.
• Cheerleaders will use pink pom poms during the football game.
*Pine Tree ISD contributed to this report