Tyler , TX (KETK) — Extreme cold temperatures are making their way to East Texas, and here's what you should do to prepare:
- Check your battery life. It's more likely to cause problems if its older than 5 years.
- Check the cooling system. If the coolant is green or yellow, its still good.
- Check tire pressure.
- Don't use the windshield wipers to get rid of any ice on your car.
(according to David Brown, Roberson Automotive)
- Insulate all pipes. This is especially important if you live in an older home.
- Keep cold and hot water running.
- Turn off all outside hydrants.
- Insulate everything including pipes in the attic.
(according to Wayne McIntyre, McIntyre Plumbing president)
- Bring them indoors!
- If you can't bring them inside, make sure they have a warm place to stay. Put them in the garage, screened porch, or make sure their outside house has hay or blankets.
- Feed them more than once a day because they burn more energy whenever its cold.
- If you do take them outside for a walk, it's smart to put a sweater on short-haired dogs.
(according to Gayle Helms, Pets Fur People)