POSTED: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:00pm
UPDATED: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:14pm
Longview, TX — Brittany Ashby’s maternal instincts took over Tuesday night when a house fire forced her to escape through a second-story window with two small children in tow.
Ashby was about to tuck her 2-month-old son Gunner and his 1-year-old sister Sophie in bed when she smelled smoke.
She tried to find out where it was coming from but only made it to a smaller room beside hers.
“The smoke was already so strong. I couldn’t go any further. I panicked and grabbed my kids, and I went to the window and the smoke was filling up the house,” she said Thursday afternoon speaking from her hospital bed at Good Shepherd Medical Center where she was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
“I put my daughter out the window first, then I got my son out,” she said, adding the flames started pouring out of the window after them. “I had to act fast because I felt like I was about to pass out.”
Read more  from the Longview News-Journal.