POSTED: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:54pm
UPDATED: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:13pm
(KETK) - Tyler Tx — According to a study by 'Safe Kids Worldwide', three-fourths of children taken to the ER., are there for medicine poisoning.
The study also says every eight minutes a child is admitted to the ER for this very reason.
Nearly 500-thousand kids a year are poisoned by eating prescription medication, something the emergency room at Trinity Mother Frances in Tyler sees on a regular basis.
"Two or three times a week you see some type of child who has ingested a prescription medicine and then the family finds out that they've had it, or the child isn't acting right and they bring him in for evaluation. So it's something we see pretty commonly," said ER physician Sean Denham.
The study concluded much of the increase is due to how busy parents are nowadays, with many grandparents watching children for extended periods of time.
"A lot of people, when they're taking out their medicine, sometimes they'll lay them out and not realize there's going to be children there, or some elderly people, they don't have child proof caps because they have arthritis," said Dr. Denham.
To spot if your kids may have gotten they're hands on prescription meds, the best indication is they're demeanor.
"They're not going to look like the child you know because they're being affected by that medicine. Those medicines can make the heart speed up, make the heart beat go down, and they can cause all kinds of problems like that," said Dr. Denham.
When you are in the routine of taking pills, it can become mundane and monotonous, but when children are around, you've got to take that extra effort, to keep them out of little hands.
"Sometimes people just don't realize and they leave they're medicine in the same place everyday, they don't realize it can be life threatening for a child, just one pill can be life threatening to a child," said Dr. Denham.