POSTED: Friday, May 2, 2014 - 5:25am
UPDATED: Friday, May 2, 2014 - 12:28pm
Smith County, Texas — Smith County Road and Bridge crews have completed reconstruction of a well-traveled bridge on County Road 137 just north of Bullard. The reconstructed bridge is made of concrete, has two full lanes and will improve a number of safety issues for that road. Before improvements began, the wooden bridge which crosses over Henshaw Creek was only large enough to allow a single car to pass at a time. Crews also moved the location of the bridge to straighten out a dangerous curve in CR 137, improving visibility for both directions of traffic. As of May 2, the bridge is now reopened to through traffic.
Improvements are also expected to wrap up within the month on two bridges on County Road 1141, also known as Dean Road. The bridges are being rebuilt where CR 1141 crosses Indian Creek and the rail road tracks between Greenbriar Road and Loop 49.
The Henshaw Creek Bridge and the bridges on CR1141 are part of several projects that Smith County and TxDOT have partnered to complete in the last year. Through the Off-System Highway Bridge Program, Smith County and TxDOT have worked to inspect, rate and determine which bridges are in most need of repair within the County. Smith County then pays a 10 percent match for the replacement costs and the project is expedited with TxDOT supplementing the other 90 percent of the project total with federal funds. CR 132 and CR 2115 both received major bridge reconstruction last year through the Off-System Highway Bridge Program.