POSTED: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 3:45pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 10:01pm
Longview (KETK) — Longview officials have extinguished a major fire at the local Coors facility in Longview.
The blaze began around 10:27 a.m, Tuesday morning. The fire was caused by soldering and sweating of copper pipes, which then ignited foam insulation. Workers were repairing the pipes when the fire was sparked, according to Longview Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary.
The fire fed itself from spray foam insulation, producing noxious gas and reigniting continuously. This hindered firefighters from making progress to contain flames. The insulation was put in place in the 1970s, said Zackary. Meanwhile, smoke billowed from the roof.
At around 12:15 p.m., the blaze grew and additional fire crews were called to the scene. Zackary told KETK he is concerned about toxicity in the smoke fumes affecting firefighters and the surrounding population.
The building is located at 2002 E Cotton St. The distribution site employs more than 60 employees and is about 47,000 square feet of space, according to the company's website. The facility has been owned and operated by Kroeger since 1975.
Traffic was diverted from Cotton Street to Gum Springs Road.
Several firefighters were treated for dehydration and minor injuries.
The Kilgore Fire Department and Judson Metro Volunteer Fire Department assisted in covering the city of Longview.