POSTED: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 12:00pm
UPDATED: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 4:32pm
Government will be seeking to reinforce a ban on cellphones for schoolchildren when the new school term starts in September.
Minister of Education and Human Resource Development, Ronald Jones, disclosed this yesterday.
He said the ban had been “in place for years”, but was not fully carried out.
It had been a case of the educational system taking its eyes off “the target” and things “becoming lax”, according to Jones.
He told reporters that in the schools the cellphones had taken on “a disruptive nature”.
Students were using them “as a playtoy, as a plaything, as a movie camera” and simply to be “mischievous”.
He said flyers would be sent to parents and teachers this week or early next week, reminding them of the ban.
Head of the Barbados Union of Teachers, Karen Best, told reporters she hoped that parents would help make the ban effective.
She said the BUT backed the ban, which would be instituted “from Day 1” next term.