FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A military judge today rejected a
defense request to keep next month's hearing about the Fort Hood
massacre closed to the public.
Col. James L. Pohl previously said he planned to call the 32
people injured in the attack to testify during the Article 32
hearing -- the military equivalent to grand jury proceedings -- in
the case of Maj. Nidal Hasan.
The Army psychiatrist is charged with 13 counts of premeditated
murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the Nov. 5
Defense attorney John Galligan says he will appeal today's
Hasan, who's in a wheelchair, never spoke during the hearing at
the post. He's paralyzed from the chest down after being shot by
two Fort Hood police officers to end the massacre.
Pohl also denied a defense request to exclude autopsy reports
from being presented at the Oct. 12 hearing, which is expected to
last several weeks. Pohl says he won't hear testimony on Nov. 4 or
5. Fort Hood has planned several activities for the first
anniversay -- including a memorial service.