LONGVIEW - Longview Police advise the following traffic precautions on icy roads:
• Do not travel if road conditions are dangerous unless absolutely necessary.
• If traffic signals are not functioning, treat the intersection as a four-way stop.
• Remove snow and ice from your vehicle before you drive, making sure the headlights and taillights are visible.
• Accelerate slowly. Increase your following distance.
• Brake gently in slow, steady strokes to see how much traction you have, and begin braking early when approaching intersections or stops.
• Approach bridges, shaded spots, overpasses and turns slowly.
• Never use cruise control in winter driving conditions.
• Use non-freezing windshield washer liquid.
• Keep our cell phone fully charged