POSTED: Monday, June 6, 2011 - 2:08am
UPDATED: Monday, June 6, 2011 - 5:57am
New York — The former International Monetary Fund leader charged with sexually assaulting a hotel maid is due to answer the charges in a New York City court.
Dominique Strauss-Kahn is expected to plead not guilty Monday to attempted rape, sexual abuse and other charges. He already has said he's innocent.
It's unclear whether prosecutors or defense lawyers will shed more light on their investigations into the allegations against the 62-year-old French economist and diplomat.
Prosecutors told a judge last month that the proof against Strauss-Kahn was "continuing to grow every day." Defense lawyers, meanwhile, told prosecutors in a letter that they had information that would "gravely undermine the credibility" of the maid.
Strauss-Kahn is on house arrest. He resigned his IMF post after his May 14 arrest.
A trial in the case is likely months away, if not longer. If convicted of the most serious charge, Strauss-Kahn could face at least five and up to 25 years in prison.